Saturday, October 24, 2015

Am I the Tootsie Roll Owl?

Recently, I was watching television (ok, I am watching television right now as well you caught me) and I saw a throwback Tootsie Roll Commercial. You may recall the commercial, it has a boy coming up to "Mr. Owl" and asking him how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The owl responds with, one a two(whooo) and then promptly takes a bite of the tootsie pop. The joke of course is that no one is ever patient enough to lick off the entire sugary coating around the tootsie pop before biting into it.
My mind made a connection to the patience that teachers need to have. Children are naturally curious and teachers need to find ways to get their students to do their best to answer their own questions. The more students can do for themselves, the more they will learn! It is not easy to take a back watch students struggle to find the answer, and sometimes it is helpful for teachers to give some answers, but discovery is a hugely important part of learning (and self esteem).  Teachers like Mr. Owl, would rather take the easy way out and simply give their student the answer. Mr. Owl should have said "I don't know Timmy (I'm guessing), let me help you set up a structure for an experiment to find out the average number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment